Sunday, June 14, 2009

Structured Signal



I am sort of a gear head. I love reading about and playing with new gadgets and improvements to old gadgets for cars, space missions, computer parts, home entertainment, guitar gear, etc.
I mentioned before I used the OMG WTF Free Phone money to buy guitar pedals. The two new additions are the electro harmonix pedals: the big muff pi (fuzz and sustain) and the micro synth (octave generator and filter). I am like, totally stoked with the sounds I am getting bra!!!
The picture above is pretty self explanatory. I play a Fender American Deluxe Strat with a bridge humbucker and two single-coils (holla Steve!) and a Gibson Les Paul Studio (thanks so much family!)...
Yeah, I play a Strat and a Les Paul...I used to skateboard Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays and I'd rollerblade on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays (Fridays I played N64 and Playstation). I'm Irish and I think U2 sucks. I have a Mac and a home-built PC running Windows...Vista. Yeah, so I'm a walking contradiction...and I fucking hate Green Day...
Wow, how did it get to this...
Oh yeah, so the picture shows the signal flow from my contradictory pieces to the Fender Hot Rod DeVille 4x10. This is the first configuration I've used with the new additions. It sounds good, but I'll definitely experiment with the effects chain. Mutation facilitates evolution right?
For now, I'll just try to explain my thinking for the initial chain...maybe I can get some feedbacks (as someone says) from anyone wanting to venture an opinion...Steve, Justin...I'm looking your way...

The loop station is last and is a pretty obvious choice for the end pedal. This is a phrase recorder, allowing me to loop and layer guitar parts. I surely want to be able to lay a lead part on top of a rhythm part - different sounds - it makes sense to modify the sounds before they get to the recorder.

Similarly for the delay pedal, I want the effects to "echo" along with the notes themselves...so the signal going in to the DD-6 is desirably wet.

I think the wah pedal is also nice at the end, since this is a more dynamically expressive effect. I can take what the prior effects yield and...um...make it go "wah haw wah haw"...

...I don't know...
...I don't know...
...I don't know...
...I don't know...

And finally, the tuner goes first. You definitely want the cleanest signal straight from the guitar as the input to the chromatic tuner so you can tune with greatest accuracy.

Alright, I'm going to go now. I love you.

Listening to
Dredg - The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion...over and over and over again...I love this album.

Watching
Entourage
Grumpier Old Men

Drinking
All of the Heinze's wine and champagne...

3 comments:

  1. brother you know about sound like i know about stitches. we are so cool. but i think you are cooler.

    can't wait for another night at the Ristorante del Heinze! hehe. heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to differ, Layla. You are way cooler than me. I have a blanket to prove it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, which word didn't you understand?
    Wet = a signal that has been run through effects
    Dry = clean signal (directly from source)
    The "I don't know"'s are for the other 4 pedals, for which I am soliciting suggestions on where to put them in the signal chain because it's not so obvious...
    The Les Paul vs. Strat is somewhat of a duality (like Skaters vs. rollerbladers, Macs vs. PC's, etc.)

    ReplyDelete